TRUSTe & EDAA Research mapping consumer attitudes and awareness of the European Self-Regulatory Programme for Online Behavioural Advertising (OBA) is shortlisted for two IAB Europe Research Awards. TRUSTe and EDAA are delighted to have been shortlisted for two prestigious award categories “Best use of research budget” and “Consumer attitudes and behaviour” in the 2017 IAB Europe Research Awards. This reflects that the joint industry effort in the Self-Regulatory Programme is making a real contribution to the development of the digital advertising industry and supports the strong value that the Programme provides to consumers, business and regulators alike. ‘The research shows that … Continue reading TRUSTe & EDAA Consumer Research Shortlisted for Two IAB Europe Research Awards
The Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) recently published new guidelines on enhanced notice. To explain these changes, the DAAC held a series of webinars on guidelines, implementation and enforcement.
In the announcements, the DAAC listed the expectations of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner (OPC):
- Organizations should be transparent; communicate to users
- Individuals should be informed of these purposes at or before collection; provided with info about all parties involved
- Individuals are easily able to opt-out
- The opt out is immediate and persistent
- The information is limited to non-sensitive information
- Information is destroyed as soon as possible or effectively de-identified”
The OPC constantly monitors the market and recently conducted a study to see how the industry was adopting the guidelines. The findings were positive — 96% of OBA ads targeted had notice on them.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB), notified its members on Wednesday, Jan. 14, that the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada is launching a research project to determine if some of Canada’s most popular websites are compliant with Canadian privacy laws.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner will study, “the degree that organizations are acting in compliance with PIPEDA,” according to a letter from Privacy Commissioner Daniel Therrien to the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada. The aim of this research is to also educate more businesses and consumers about privacy.
Online Behavioral Advertising (OBA) in Canada is covered by PIPEDA, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. PIPEDA establishes ground rules for how the private sector can collect, use or disclose personal information in the course of commercial activities. “The law gives individuals the right to access and request correction of the personal information these organizations may have collected about them,” notes the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s website. “In general, PIPEDA applies to organizations’ commercial activities in all provinces, except organizations that collect, use or disclose personal information entirely within provinces that have their own privacy laws, which have been declared substantially similar to the federal law. In such cases, it is the substantially similar provincial law that will apply instead of PIPEDA, although PIPEDA continues to apply to federal works, undertakings or businesses and to interprovincial or international transfers of personal information.”
Earlier today, Disconnect launched the first mobile app to block malvertising –and confirmed that the app is available for iOS and Android after an initial ban by Google caused public outcry. Malvertising is a major cause of identity theft and is impossible for consumers to identify because malicious tracking and malware often looks like a normal advertisement or website. Many consumers also do not realize that just visiting a webpage containing malvertising, without even clicking anything, can put them at risk. “Disconnect Mobile offers unique threat protection at the network request level, so that users are protected across all their … Continue reading TRUSTe To Develop Guidelines For Whitelisting Sites On New Disconnect Mobile App
– Feb 19 EU Regulatory Update – Implications & Opportunities (Webinar – OTA Members Only) Join Saira Nayak, Director of Policy at TRUSTe, on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 for the Online Trust Alliance (OTA) webinar which will provide an update on the EU Regulatory environment and discuss related implications and opportunities. Register here. – Feb 24 – 27 Mobile World Congress – The Future of Mobile Advertising: From Opt-out to Opt-in Barcelona #MWC14 is a world-class thought leadership conference featuring visionary keynotes and panel discussions. More than 1,700 exhibitors will showcase cutting-edge product and technology innovations. Stop by … Continue reading February Monthly Spotlight
Drawbridge is a cross-device advertising platform that helps advertisers find and identify users across devices. By matching people to more than 1 billion devices, they are able to offer marketers superior results through audience targeting with 3rd party data, retargeting across devices, and smarter “run-of-data” campaigns. Watch as Eric Rosenblum, COO of Drawbridge, discusses the importance of privacy and why TRUSTe’s framework, innovation in technology, and the TRUSTed Ads product appealed to them. Watch Video »