TrustArc Blog

Meet TRUSTe: Eileen Rico, Senior Privacy Solutions Manager

February 18, 2015

Our latest series will introduce you to a new TRUSTe employee every week to give you an inside look at the talented, knowledgeable and friendly people who work at TRUSTe.  

Name: Eileen Rico

Job Title: Senior Privacy Solutions Manager, CIPP/US

How long have you worked at TRUSTe? I just celebrated 10 years in October 2014.

Tell us about your role at TRUSTe: In my role as a Senior Privacy Solutions Manager, I work with companies to manage the privacy assessment process of their websites and mobile applications. This includes reviewing and red-lining their privacy policy and helping them to define and implement creative solutions to meet their-specific business needs and achieve TRUSTe program requirements in a timely manner. I am CIPP/US certified and also available to our clients to help educate and advise them on federal and international policies, program requirements and privacy best practices.

I have built strong relationships with our clients and enjoy the opportunity to work with so many talented people who are appreciative of what we do for them as a company.

What do you think are the top privacy challenges for companies? Keeping data safe is one of the top challenges for most companies. With recent data breaches and systems being compromised, companies must find ways to make sure all of their clients’ data is protected at all times. Also, sharing of Personally Identifiable Information is a hot privacy challenge, too. Most companies believe they have the right to share information they collect but some do not realize they must give their users a choice before doing so and most don’t understand how much sharing is too much sharing.

Why do you think data privacy is an important issue? Data privacy has become an important issue because people want to understand what Personally Identifiable Information companies are collecting about them and who they are sharing it with. People are looking to control the information about them online, especially with colleges and prospective employers looking for candidates on the Internet before they admit them to their school or hire them for a position within their company. To demonstrate how quickly information spreads online and how much of that online data isn’t private, elementary school teachers have been asking students to post pictures on Facebook. Teachers can demonstrate to students just how fast their information can basically “fly” across the Internet and by this happening their data isn’t private any longer.

What do you like most about working at TRUSTe? We are a team first and foremost. If someone on our team has a question or concern that has not come up before, we put our heads together and figure out a solution. With all the new privacy laws that are constantly changing and evolving, we must work together to assist our clients, so they can make sure they are following these laws and protecting their clients’ data.

TRUSTe has a supportive work environment; we get the job done and have fun doing it. I am very thankful that TRUSTe is so flexible with work schedules and allows us the opportunity to work from home when needed so we can take care of our families and ourselves.

What do you do for fun when you’re not working? I like to try new restaurants and spend time with my family and friends. But the best place to be on any day no matter what the weather is, is at the beach.

Subscribe to Blog